How to care for a leather handbag depends on the characteristics of the leather it is made of.
The following leathers are in use:
- Full grain aniline leather (nappa): this leather has conserved the totality of its grain with its original surface and its apparent pores. Its he most beautiful, but also the most fragile leather.
- Pigmented full grain leather: this leather has also conserved its natural grain, but has received, in addition to an in-depth colouring, a colored dressing on the surface to unify its appearance, hide any light imperfections and protect the leather.
- Corrected-rectified pigmented grain: to give the leather surface a more uniform appearance and to hide its imperfections, wrinkles, scratches, burns etc., the grain is more or less sanded off and afterwards imprinted with a pigmented smooth or grainy protective film.
- Pigmented split leather: made of the lower layer of the skin on which is applied a very thick pigmented protection. the appearance can be smooth or grainy, depending on the relief impression which can create an artificial grain.
Because of the frequent use of fragile leathers for fine leather goods, we recommend to first determine the nature of your leather to choose the most appropriate product afterwards to care for it. Moisten your index with a bit of saliva and the firmly press your finger for 5 seconds on a hidden part of your leather article. Do not hesitate to repeat the operation by pressing your finger again exactly on the same spot.
If a water mark appears, it is a full grain aniline or natural nappa leather.
If no mark appears, it is a pigmented full grain or a corrected pigmented grain leather.
Start by thoroughly cleaning your leather (see bottom of page), then choose one the products listed below :
- Full grain aniline leather, natural nappa: this leather being without protection and therefore very fragile, the use of Leather Renovator Nappa Saphir Médaille d'Or is essential. Afterwards protect your leather with Super Invulner Saphir Médaille d'Or.
- Vegetable tanned leather: to preserve the appearance of leather tanned with natural vegetable tannins, use the Vegetable Tanned Leather Balm Saphir Médaille d'Or.
- Pigmented full grain or corrected leather: its surface finishing gives it a bit more protection. Leather Renovator SAPHIR Médaille d'Or , a non-greasy cream enriched with mink oil, has been specially conceived to nourrish and protect this leather. You can also use Polish Lotion Saphirt Médaille d'Or.
- Pigmented split leather: the previous products can also be used, and if the leather is slightly worn or discoloured, you can also alternate with Cream Renovator AVEL which contains more waxes and exists in different colours to freshen up the colour of your leather. Afterwards, recolour small small discolorations with Renovating Cream Saphir.
- ostrich, peccary, matt leather : Delicate Cream Polish SAPHIR. Solvent-free and enriched with vegetal proteines, does not alter the appearance of the leather.
- Barenia, glazed leather : choose Gel Polish
- crocodile, reptile : choose REPTAN Polish for care and Varnish RIFE Saphir for giving new shine to or re-color the varnish (also available in black).
- cordovan leather: Cream Shoe Polish CORDOVAN Saphir Médaille d'Or
- patent leather : Varnish RIFE Saphir.
- braided, pearly, metalized leather: Gel Polish
For protection and future easy cleaning, apply the anti-stain treatment Super INVULNER .
If necessary, begin by cleaning dirty and non-fragile leather (like you would wash your hands before applying an cream) by using Cleaning Regenerating Soap Avel (do not use on patent leather). Carefully test before on a hidden part.
In the presence of sebum (a deposit made on the leather in contact with the skin and or hair, like on the handles, for example), start by eliminating tese traces with Stain Remover Hussard Spray.
In case of a more substantial recoloration, consult the advice card "Re-colouring Fine Leather Goods.
For cleaning dirty and incrusted leathers. Removes thesuccessive layers of wax andgives backto the leather its original appearance. NEW FORMULA,totally colorless, with purified glycerine. Remarks : Non alkalineformula, without solvent or caustic soda, and therefore non-agressive for leather to the contrary ofMarseilles soap. Essential before applying the Pigmenting Creamor the Renovators, just like washing ...
Neutral polish for smooth leather,Non greasy cream based on beeswax enriched with mink oil and lanolin. Aqueous formula. A real neutral beauty product for smooth leather: leather goods, leather clothing, antique bookbindings, shoes etc.
Cream polish for the care of Cordovan leather shoes. Thanks to the blending of appropriate oils and waxes, Cream Shoe Polish CORDOVAN Saphir Médaille d'Or is formulated to adapt to the "greasy"" properties of Cordovan leather. Apply by massagingdelicately and use a soft cloth for shining. Remarks : Always test before carefully on a hidden part. ...
This beauty milk is recommended by the most renowned leather goods manufacturers. Embellishes, nourishes and protects all reptile leathers: lizard, crocodile, snake, as well asshark andshagreen... Delivered with a Chamoisine Cotton Cloth.
Translucent cream recommended for the care of multicoloured, braided, pearly or metallised leather which resists penetration of classic polish. Its light formula favors the shiny instead of the nourishing waxes and protects from dirt.